Sunday, March 02, 2008

EASTER PAGEANT EXPERIENCES

As this year's Easter Pageant performance comes closer, memories of past productions and our family are brought to mind. I should have recorded the experiences and feelings immediately after each year as "age" dulls the mind. I reserve the right to add or change as time goes on, or my memory improves.

This year our family is represented by Melanie, Erik, Kylie, and Jadyn. They carry on the "Easter Pageant tradition".

The Pageant has evolved over the years from an early sunrise service to the production it is today. Linda and Amy were in the "Book of Mormon" scene in the late 60's. Thus they were well acquainted with Sister Roberta Layton as members of the Mesa West Stake.
My first introduction to the Pageant was in 1977, when Roberta Layton asked if we wanted to be in the Pageant. I am sure I was somewhat hesitant, not thrilled with the idea of being in a "play" and having to be in front of people. But I "caved in" and said yes. I didn't want to make the same "mistake" as the Pres. Kimball experience in passing up a chance for a "spiritual expericence". The production was made up of people from Maricopa and Mesa West Stakes, and many others that I didn't wasn't aware of. It was performed on the west side of the Temple grounds, same spot as today's. But the stage consisted of the City of Mesa's show trailer. It was 30 or so feet wide and 20 or so feet deep, with a curtain, sides and a back, and on wheels. Two "cotton" trailers were used as additonal stage on each side of the main stage. Plants and additonal back drops (drapes and scenery) were used to enhance the stage look.
I don't remember many details of the "early" years and what scenes we were in.....but here is what I can remember..............

Auditions consisted of filling out an info form, and then going into a room as a group of 20 or so. We would do our best moves to the music, moving left, then right, raising our left arm, them right, and twirling, etc. From this the "talent scouts" (directors) would make their best choices for our parts. The number of people auditioning was pretty small compared to today's numbers (800+).
I remember being on the stage for the "Lord's Prayer" scene, and having to kneel for the length of the scene as the song was sung (supposedly in a freeze position). We would give Michael and Jeremy candy to keep them somewhat in character as the scene went on, and we were in the back of the scene so to be able to keep them somewhat out of view of the crowd. Always a challenge each night. Later years, as Melanie was old enough to be in the scene, she was the little girl the Savior picked up and held.
Irwin Phelps was the director along with Sister Layton. He was the theater arts teacher at MCC (???). We would start rehearsals as early as 8 weeks before the first night, and we held those early practices at the Inter-Stake Center. Then we would move to the Temple grounds when the trailers (stages) and temp lighting was set up, and re-block the scenes because the stage distances were way smaller.
One night, it was really late (after mid-night???) and drizzling rain, Irwin was trying to "perfect" a scene. The lights came from Salt Lake on a truck that traveled to other Pageants. So they arrived just a short time before actual performaces began. All of a sudden one of the light poles fell over with a big crash. No one was hurt, and I guess the lights survived as well. The poles were just stuck in the ground back then. With that we were all sent home. (Today everything is cement achored, bolted, etc.) One night, Matt Sanchez, a Roman soldier (200lbs plus) fell through the stage floor, where plywood was laid for flooring. He was okay, but was always cautious after that on where to step.
One year, I was the "Appearance Angel". I was dressed in a shining white robe. With no high rise stage (just as well), I would take a huge piece of black material, and climb on a pre-positioned 3 step box next to a palm tree north of the stages, close to where the shepherds would be. I did this as the opening prayer was given to be somewhat inconspicuous. I stood there for the first 5/10 minutes with the cloth outstretched over my head until my part. I then dropped the cloth and mouthed my line to the shepherds, "fear not for behold I bring you........". Years later, Jeremy did this part from the high rise stage.....(???)
Over the years, I was Adam, a shepherd, Joseph (Linda was Mary, and did Mary's Lullabye), an unnamed Apostle, and John the Apostle.

Once you were in the Pageant, you were pretty well "hooked". Practices were always long and challenging, but the performances were the real reason we kept coming back. The Spirit was always strong (how could it not be??). We were part of the Pageant "family", only seeing most of the "family" at Pageant time. Every year as we began we would always say, "I can't beleive it's been a year already", and then when the performances were done, "I can't believe it's over". It is very difficult to put into words the feelings for the Pageant and it's effects on my life. Trying to write those feelings is just about impossible for me.

Brother Phelps and Sister Layton (and others I am sure) over the years wrote the script for the Pageant and improved it each year to make it more meaningful to all who saw it. At some point the Mesa Easter Pageant became a Church Pageant. This also meant a bigger budget for costumes and scenery. I can't even begin to tell what all happened and when......but it meant a new stage, enhanced scenery, curtains, and much more........changes with those involved.
Chip Boynton (a theatrical major at BYU and in the advertising profession) became involved with directing. Lund Johnson (also a theatrical man with experience at Hill Cumorah Pageant, and a seminary teacher) a year or later became a director. At some point Irwin and Roberta were "released" from their "callings". In 1983 (???) Chip became the director, and also played the part of the Savior!!!! Robert Layton (Sister Layton's son) had played the part for 10 yrs, and Robert Larson for 10 years. He was the Savior when we started. So change was difficult for most of us. There were also changes in the music. Song changes, and re-recordings with new performers. We made it through even with all the changes, the story was always the same, no matter how it was presented.

In 1984, after having auditioned as usual. We awaited our parts in the mail. I don't remeber if I opened the mail, or it was read to me over the phone. But it read "you have been chosen to play the part of the Savior". As I try to recall how I felt 20 plus years ago, I am sorry to say I can't remember my true feelings. I am sure I was totally "scared to death" with the idea of being in front of thousands of people and being the center of attention. I am sure I felt humbled to even have been considered for the part, let alone be chosen. I like to think someone prayed about it, and the Lord answered those prayers!!!! I was somewhat comforted knowing I didn't have to speak, so I couldn't mess up too bad. I am sure I was re-assured by Brother Boynton that I could do it. I knew in my heart I could do it, the Lord was in charge, and would not allow His Pageant to be a "flop". So here I was, totally afraid of being in front of people and performing, soon to be in front of thousands. I was able to get away with it in previous years because I was never the focus of the attention. I can only say, as I look back over those 10 years, the Lord guided and directed me, and it was never about me anyway......
In President Hinckley's father's words, "forget about yourself, and go to work".

The first practices were difficult. I had to break out of my shy "introverted" shell. I felt the love and kindness of others as they congratulated me and gave me encouragement, that helped tremendously. It began to hit me that this was how the Gospel works, it is how the Church works, each of us helping each other, through what we perceive as difficult challenges.
I had to learn where to be and when to be there, to know "my lines" to be able to look like I was actually talking, and to give big actions to portray even the smallest emotion. After 10 years, I almost figured it all out, but not completely.
There was a new scene added that year (or last year??). It was Jesus and the Children. The Savior and 10+ children (ranging from 11 down to 5 ish). I first thought how in the world is this scene going to work with this many kids. I was a really nervous and uncomfortable. But once again, I didn't have a clue what the Pageant was really all about. The scene turned out to be one of the most powerful scenes to touch the audience hearts, and contiunes to do so today. A scene that was trully inspired.
There were plenty of "funny" and unique experiences (the Spiritual ones are harder to tell about, so they will follow).
As the practices went on that first year, it came time to go thru the finale with the "CHERRY PICKER". I went back of the stage to take my first ride. I had to climb a ladder about 25ft and then get inside the "bucket" attached to the end of the ladder. Then the lift went up another 50 feet and I was above the palm trees. This was during daylight hours and in street clothes. After getting down, my "flesh" side kicked in; how could I do this in a costume, and at night, and rush off the stage to get there in time, all this hiding my real fear --- "heights". So, I went to Chip, and presented my story. He probably sensed my fears, because he and Robert Larson had done it before with no problems. So he said another way would be figured out. And so, Frank Morgan, who had played the Savior on the cross for years, stood in for me as the Savior appearing at the end of the Pageant. I was a big chicken, but it allowed Frank to have a great experience. A few years later, after the last performance was unusally windy, and Frank was swaying back and forth, the scene was changed to the top of the stage. I don't know if it was a safety move or what. A lift was mounted ontop the stage and that raised the Savior to an "ascending" height (10 15 ft. above the top of the state). I was able to handle that, knowing I was only 15 feet high????????
The ride on the donkey was somewhat uneventful for even a "city slicker" like me. Having never riden a horse or donkey (that's what I said), I managed the first few years without any complications. But one year, our old experienced donkey died. So a new one was enlisted. It didn't like the enlistment. We had problems with each practice. One time I was bucked off, and hit the side 2 x 4 frame and cut my wrist. Not a bad cut, but I still have the scar. The Apostles tried their best to help control "Peanut", and did a pretty good job. One night, we didn't make it on with me riding, and had to go with all of us walking on the stage. Over the years the donkey entrance included walking on the grass with the Savior dismounting and walking up the steps, walking up a ramp in front of the center stage, and walking up the north end rounding the corner and going across the full stage. For years a new animal was needed to be found each year, and thus a fun and exciting experience every year.......
One year, during the Cleansing the Temple scene, I flipped over the bird cages, and caught a nail snag on my right hand. I knew it pieced my skin, but didn't think it was too bad considering all that was going on, crowd yelling and the excitement of the scene. ("Think" being the key word, I found years later if I don't see the injury I am okay). The next scene, as I am appearing/calling the Apostles. I am facing the audience, and they are facing me (backs to audience). And they are staring at my hand, and saying "you are bleeding". Wrong word to say to me. Somehow I made it thru the scene and got backstage. The paramedics had been called, and were waiting for me. The cut was not that bad. It was bleeding, but didn't require stitches; a bandaid did the job, and I was able to continue. But, I still have the scar for the "life threatening injury".
For years we didn't have any real technical difficulties (at least from our perspective). We always worked around any little things that happened. One year, as Judas was approaching the Savior for the kiss and betrayal.......the sound track tape broke. What seemed like "forever", was only 10 or so seconds, before the backup tape was clicked on. We all froze for those "few" seconds, and when the tape started the dialogue again we contiuned our actions. Afterwards, we talked about how we "together" without spoken word had made a "right choice" by not continuing our actions. That by just freezing, when the tape started we were in sync. One of many times the Lord's hand was involved in the Pageant.


For the past 2 years and in 1989, as I exited the stage at the end of the "Old Jerusalem" scene and went into the "Last Supper" scene, a "stage crew member" grabbed my arm and ushered me to my position. It was pitch black, and the bright stage lights made it impossible to focus quick enough to be in position as the scene began. And so for those years, I never knew who that person was. So in 1989 as I found myself in a single setting, I was introduced to Mignon Hallows (that "stage person" also in a single setting). We were hooked up by the "Apostles". We went out on a date right after the Pageant ended, and 4 weeks later we were married. Nineteen years ago. I am so thankful for that introduction and the events that led to our meeting. I love that "stage person".

From the first rehearsal to the last performance, I was totally out of my comfort zone. The support of the cast members, the directors, my friends and those I worked with in Church callings, and especially my Family was the help I needed to give me a an idea of how I should portray the Savior. We, no, I, cannot comprehend what the Savior went through while He was on this earth. What pain He suffered at the hands of those who could not understand what they were doing. Gethsamane, betrayal by Judas, scourging by the Roman soldiers, and the Crucifixion could not even begun to be felt by a mortal being. And yet the joy of the Resurrection felt by those who witnessed it was somehow a "real" physical experience that we all felt. As I reflect back, how could one ask for a greater earthly learning experience, for 4 plus weeks, for 10 years to "walk and talk" with the Savior, to get a small glimpse of what it will be like someday.......I only wish I could be more like Him. I do know, if we try our very best, He will make up the shortage that we cannot fulfill. And someday, we can be like Him and will be with Him. This I testify in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

1 comment:

RUBY said...

dang it mike.....i cant go on your blog with out leaving with tears rolling down my cheeks.
i have always thought of you as the most christlike person i know!
whenever i speak of you...i really cant put into words what you mean to me and what a blessing you have been in my life personally and to mom and the boys. i have practically known you my whole life...from what i remember and i want to thank you for all that you have done and what you continue to do....i know you are always there for all of us!