Friday, February 08, 2008

MY CHURCH CALLINGS

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do, not that the nature of the thing has changed, but that our power to do is increased", President Heber J. Grant quoting Ralph Waldo Emerson.
I joined the Church June 29, 1968 (19 years old). I was given the Aaronic Priesthood and ordained to the office of a Priest. My first calling was that of Deacon's Quorum assistant advisor (18th Ward). After Linda and I were married, we moved to Scottsdale 3rd Ward, where I was called as an Assistant Scout Leader. I would do my first hike in the Superstitions, and we didn't get lost. I home taught the Hurler's, which I would see later on in Gilbert. Six months later we moved backed to 18th ward. Bob Kerr was called to be Elder's Quorum President, and I was called as the Secretary. Later, I became one of the counselors.
We moved to Mesa in June 1972. I was called as a Stake Missionary. That was pretty scary, since I didn't have a clue about teaching people or explaining things. But I had some great instructors and some great companions, and with the Lord's help was of some benefit to helping others. I remember learning the missionary discussions at the Cardon Oil offices (on Broadway just east of the citrus packing shed, it's now a used car lot). Craig Cardon was also a stake missionary, only he was experienced, having served a full time mission (check out his article in this month's Ensign). He was a great missionary, with a great gift for teaching. Another great companion was Bill Richardson. We got along together well, he was a sports guy. He worked at Motorola at 52nd St. and Mcdowell, he was an design engineer, which meant he built/designed circuit boards for ????. We taught a young couple (thru referral), that lived in the Phoenix 18th Ward, they joined the Church. It was a great experience to go back to my old ward, and help this couple go through the same conversion process that I went through with the great people in 18th Ward.
When Alma 3rd Ward split, and we became Alma 5th, I was called as one of the Seven Presidents of Seventy for the Stake. I was now in charge of Missionary work for the ward. WOW. I somehow muddled my way through the next couple of years.
I had an "missed" experience that taught me a valuble lesson. Vern Fuller, a good friend and fellow softball junkie, called me one day and asked if I wanted to help out with he and his father-in-law, Len Bedford (an FBI agent), and others, to help with security when President Kimball arrived to dedicate the Mesa West Stake Center. Being the shy, a fairly new convert, and just plain chicken, I said no thanks. Oh brother, what a goof I was. I had no clue what it meant to be with a Prophet. And so, I missed an opportunity of a life time. I have sinced tried to always accept callings, service opportunities, and try to exist outside of my little comfort zone. I do remember sitting on the back row, far east side when President Kimball walked in for the dedication. He walked right in front of us, it was pretty special.
We moved to Alma 1st Ward in December 1977. I was released as one of the Presidents, but I was still a Stake Missionary. One thing I remember as a SM, we used to have 5AM Sunday Meetings in Chandler. They were like devotionals to help motivate us. Our stake, Mesa West, took in Casa Grande, Chandler north to Mesa, west of Country Club, South of Main St. We used to leave at 4:30AM to make that 1 hour meeting. Brent Hatch was called as Bishop in Alma 1st, and he called me as his Executive Secretary. Now, I had to call people to set appts for the Bishop, be with him at the Church when he did interviews, and all kinds of other "scary" new and frightening things. Dan Willoughby was in our ward, he later killed his wife down in Rocky Point, and David Thomas was in the ward, he was the "baseball boy" in My Turn on Earth. Steve and Elena Macfarland moved into the ward. He was from Utah, and was good friends with Clint Anderson. I hired Steve to work at Kerr's, and he hooked us up with Clint, who was selling an adjustable backboard. Also in Alma 1st as young marrieds were Lydia and Ron Michaels, they moved before we moved into the ward, but I remember making a visit to them with another SM. Bishop Hatch did a shake up of his counselors, and I was called as a counselor along with Steve Harms. Six months later, Bishop Hatch was released, and Steve Harms was called as Bishop and I was called as his counselor. I remember one of my first responsiblities in the Bishopric was Tithing Settlement. Back then, the counselors met with the members and asked them to donate to the building fund and the ward budget. That was a learning experience. Another experience was sitting in on Church disciplinary courts. That was a very difficult experience knowing you had something to do with that person's future and their Church membership.
Sometime around 84/85, our stake was divided. Ezra Taft Benson, then President of the Quorum of the Twelve presided. We sat on the front row, and that was another great experience. The stake was divided, the Chandler-Alma Stake was created from the Mesa West Stake. We were in the new stake, and then another suprise.....our few streets just west of Kleinman Park were realigned and put into Alma 4th Ward, and some of Alma 4th was put into Alma 1st. That was a real shocker, as now we were in a whole new ward!!!!! And what was more shocking, I was released from the Bishopric, YAHOO!!!!, but then called into the Alma 4th Bishopric......(Rey Kartchner was Bishop).
It was difficult, being in a new ward, not knowing many people, but being in a leadership position. Some names that I would know better later in life were, Vella Rose Smith, Stu Buck, Clarence Martin, Theo Heap, Tracey Kay, and Merlin Russell. Another learning experience I had was one Sunday as we met in Bishopric an hour before Church was to begin, Bishop Kartchner asked me if I had the program lined up for Sacrament Meeting. I looked at him with a blank stare. I thought he had called the people based on our discussion last Sunday, and he thought I had called them. He then called 3 young adults (7:30am with Church at 8am), and they all said yes.....and I was saved. I had a lot to learn about fulfilling my calling and being dilligent. Two and half years later, Bishop Kartchner was released, and I was also released. I was called as the Teacher's Quorum Advisor. I also coached the YM basketball and softball teams. A few months later, I got the moving bug, and we moved to Gilbert (Elliot and Las Arboleta, Gilbert 2nd Ward). President Hancock (counselor in Stake Pres.) was our home teacher. He got to know me, and the next thing I know, I am called as the Stake Financial Clerk. I did that for 2 years under President Clare and President Layton.

In August 1988, I found myself in the Neely Ward (after divorce). Bishop Stradling called me in and issued a call to me to be Sunday School President. I was somewhat hesitant, I didn't feel good about it. Not sure if it was fear, insecurity, or what; I said no to the calling. The first time in my life that I had rejected a calling. A little while later, he called me to teach the 14 year old Sunday School class. I was later called to be Stake Single Adult Male Rep. In May 1989, Mignon and I were married. We moved to Elliot Ward that fall. We were called to teach in the Primary, the Nursery. That was one of the best callings ever. We loved the little munchkins. One of those munchkins was Kimberly Knight who just married Tom Merrill (Mignon's cousin Kathy's son). After 2 years of fishies and watching our classes grow up, we were released. I was then called to Teacher's Quorum Advisor, along with Roy Daniel. We were a great team, and got along well. We had a great quorum. Then the ward and stake were realigned. We ended up in the new Elliot Ward, with a new bishop and a lot of new faces. With that, I was released as Teacher's Quorum Advisor, and called to teach the 16 year old Sunday School class.
Shortly thereafter we moved to Mesa 16th ward (June 1994). I was called to teach in Primary, the 11 year old boys. Another great calling, not because of me, because I had a great bunch of boys-- Kevin Cluff, Mike West, Isaac Ortega, Brent Lewis, Graham McIntire and Tyler Harding. Two years later, I get released, and I am called to be Teacher's Quorum Advisor. I only had that calling for a month or so, as we were realigned. We became Riverview Ward in the newly formed Mesa Maricopa Stake. I was called to be, you are right........Teacher's Quorum Advisor. Kyle Thornton was also called. We worked well together. Five years later, Bishop Dale was released, and Bishop Bodrero was called, and he called Steve Neil as a counselor (was YM Pres.), and I am called as YM Pres/Priest Quorum Advisor. Happenings included Wednesday nite activities, scouting, Sunday lessons, blessing the Sacrament, taking the Sacrament to the shut-ins, service projects, firesides, Stake Youth Conference, Snow fights with snow from the Ice Rink, caroling, softball and basketball, and the "River Trip". As Teacher's Advisor, I helped with driving, but avoided going down the river. As Priest Quorum, I helped with driving, and planned the trip with site reservations, who would drive, and arrange for adults to go with the boys. Finally, in March 2004, I go down the river. The good news was that Steve Merrill, Sr. and Steve Merrill, Jr. were taking a the food and equipment and meeting us at the 2 overnite stops, and cooking dinner. We started out at Blythe dropoff, Monday mid-day. It was sort of windy, and we got a rain shower just before we reached the first stop. I was with Jonathan Cozad, he and I were both new at this. We missed the place to get out, with the rain and wind, got separated from the others. We had to paddle back, but finally made it. The night camp was long and miserable, but it went okay, except for the bonfire that Tommy, David James, and Nathan O'Camb started with tumbleweeds that almost started a wildfire. The next day, the wind was blowing worse than the day before. So being the wise scout leaders that we were, we opted to head for home and cut the trip short by a day. Probably wimped out, but I was glad.
Then in September 2004, we were realigned, with one ward in the Stake being dissolved, and added to our ward. With that change, Bishop Bodrero decided to change counselors. Lew Smith and Mike Smith were called as counselors. Yes, that was me. So, I am in the Bishopric again. It was good, just lots of stress. Having to conduct Sacrament and Priesthood Meetings, get peopel to speak, issue callings, and speak was difficult.
I "must" confess, in the almost 40 years in the Church, I have never voluntarily bore my testimony. I have done so while conducting, teaching lessons, speaking, and even was called out of the audience 2 times, but never got up on my own. I can't say I am proud of that........but that won't make me get up the next Testimony meeting.
I also firmly believe that every member needs to be in a Bishopric/Branch Presidency, a RS Presidency or Primary Presidency to know what it is like to have to ask people to do "things". I know it changed my attitude on helping out and being more willing to offer my services having bee there.
NEPHI 3:7 helped me accomplish my stewardship.
We moved to Maricopa in November 2005, I was released from the Bishopric. In Maricopa, we were in wards with 1000 members. In September 2005, the wards were split and realigned. I was called as 1st Assistant in the High Priest group, Maricopa 4th Ward.

1 comment:

ME said...

Cool! I don't know if you remember or not, but the quote at the beginning is the quote I used in my Junior Miss speech. I only remember because EmmaLee just made a DVD of that for me & I just watched it. It's a good one!